Lovells Island Range Lighthouses as they appeared in 1915. The two towers were 400 feet apart and both lanterns had 4th order Fresnel lenses. At that time, the front tower was a fixed light and the rear light flashed red every five seconds. A 1903 government report stated that the Lovells Island Range Lights, together with the nearby Spectacle Island Range Lights, were built to guide vessels through the New Broad Sound Channel. (U.S. Coast Guard photo, Lighthouse Digest archives)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021
The Long-Lost Lovells Island Range Lights
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024