Digest>Jul/Aug 2021

Photo Caption:

Although all of the soldiers stationed at Fort Standish were artillerymen, they were also required to be good with a rifle. They are shown here during rifle target practice by the then abandoned Lovells Island Lighthouse shortly before the towers and keeper’s home were to be demolished. Notice that the cupola of the light tower’s lantern had already been removed in preparation for the dismantling of the structure. Fort Standish was discontinued in 1947, and the ruins of the fort are now largely overgrown by vegetation. In 1962, the island became part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area. (Photo courtesy Images of America, The Military History of Boston’s Harbor Islands)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021


The Long-Lost Lovells Island Range Lights
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History