Digest>Jul/Aug 2021

Photo Caption:

Little Gull Island Lighthouse was established in 1806 and the tower shown here was first lighted on December 15, 1869. It stands about seven miles northeast of Orient Point, New York at the eastern end of Long Island’s North Fork, where Long Island opens out to the sea. On July 28, 1813, during the War of 1812, British troops landed on the island and removed the lighting apparatus from the first tower, leaving the lighthouse dark until the war’s end. The house, shown here, which was home to three lighthouse families, was built of granite and wood with a mansard style roof. The head keeper lived on the first floor, the 1st assistant lived on the second floor, and the 2nd assistant keeper lived on the third floor. Each level had a kitchen, two bedrooms, and a living room. The kitchen stove was the only source of heating for each floor. (Lighthouse Digest archives)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021


Little Gull Island – A Photographic Journey Through Time
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History