The second Long Island Lighthouse in Boston Harbor, shown here completed in 1844, was the first cast iron lighthouse built in the United States. The 34-foot-tall tower was built by the South Boston Iron Company. It was built to replace a 20-foot stone tower that was also known as the Inner Harbor Lighthouse. The name of the island comes from the fact that at 1.75-miles long, the 225-acre island is the longest of the 34 islands in Boston Harbor. (Lighthouse Digest archives)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021
America’s First Cast Iron Tower and the Lighthouses of Boston Harbor’s Long Island
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024