Digest>Mar/Apr 2011

Photo Caption:

This rare image shows Heron Neck Lighthouse with the first keeper’s house. It was reported that, over the years, five people became sick and died from the living conditions in the damp and drafty keeper’s house, which was finally torn down and replaced in 1895 by the house that stands there today. At some point, the lantern room on the tower was either replaced or altered to the one that is currently there today. Three people are shown on the rocks with a dog. One of people might be lighthouse keeper Nathaniel Hartwell, who served here as the keeper from 1883 to 1890. (Lighthouse Digest archives photo.)
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2011


Heron Neck Lighthouse
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2011

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History