Digest>Mar/Apr 2011

Photo Caption:

This photograph of Heron Neck Lighthouse was dated 1937. The keeper standing on the steps of the keeper’s house is Andrew W. Bennett, the last keeper of the United States Lighthouse Service to have served here. Interestingly, the fog bell is not hanging from the fog bell tower and may have been moved to a pier. The fog signal building, sometimes referred to as the whistle house, had not yet been built when this photo was taken. The station’s log books indicate the fog signal building, also known as the whistle house, was constructed in 1948 and it was officially reported in operation in 1949. Also shown here are a couple of out-buildings that no longer stand. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2011


Heron Neck Lighthouse
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2011

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History