The second Eddystone tower, built by John Runyard in 1759, was destroyed by a fire in 1755. The third Eddystone Lighthouse was built by John Smeaton in 1759. Taking a world-wide lead in lighthouse preservation, when the third Eddystone tower was threatened by erosion to the rocks under the base of the tower, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to shore as a monument to its builder. As seen in this photograph it is known as the Smeaton Tower or Smeaton’s Tower and is a popular tourist destination. In 2001 it underwent extensive restoration. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2011
1960 Book Review Compares Famous Lighthouse Builder to Walt Disney
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024