The Chatham 40-foot-tall brick twin lights were established in 1841 to replace two earlier wooden towers from 1808. Because of their appearance, the lanterns on the towers are referred to as “bird-cage style lanterns.” When Simeon Nickerson, who had been the light keeper since 1845, died in 1848, the government appointed his wife, Angeline, as the keeper, a position she held until 1862.
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2023
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2023