Around 1857, the bird-cage style lanterns of the twin lighthouses at Chatham were replaced with new lanterns that each held a 6th order Fresnel lens. However, when erosion threated these towers, the government built two new twin cast-iron towers across the street and left these two towers to the elements. Between 1878 and 1879, most of these towers and the keeper’s house tumbled over the cliff.
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2023
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2023