In 1877, the government built these two cast-iron, brick-lined twin lighthouses across the street from the old Chatham twin lights that were about to collapse over the bluff. These new lighthouses were 48 feet tall and held 4th order Fresnel lenses. They were of the same design as many other lighthouses throughout New England.
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2023
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2023