George L. Lyon who invented and built the docking system at Egg Rock Lighthouse in Massachusetts was the keeper there from 1889 to 1911. He then became keeper at Graves Lighthouse in Boston Harbor, where he served until 1913 when he became keeper at Nobska Lighthouse in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, a position he held until 1929.
At some point, after his lighthouse days, George Lyon moved to Galveston, Texas, presumably to be closer to his youngest son. He was a widower at the time that he was admitted to the U.S. Public Health Service hospital with pneumonia, where he passed away at the age of 94 on February 28, 1956. Probably because his son was unemployed at the time, George Lyon, once a well-known lighthouse keeper, was buried in the Oleander Cemetery, which is part of the Potters Field Cemetery for indigents, and a headstone was never placed.
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2023