Digest>April 2009

Photo Caption:

This postcard of Maine’s famous Portland Head Lighthouse, postmarked in 1908, may at first glance, look like any other old post card image of Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth Maine. The card was made during the time that Joseph Strout served as the keeper. Look closely and you’ll see a small narrow bridge that juts out over the rocks. This is the first time we’ve seen an image of the lighthouse with this bridge. It may have been built to help with the salvage of the wreck of the Annie C. Maguire that hit the rocks here on Christmas Eve 1886. Or, perhaps John A Strout, a third generation of Strouts to serve at Portland Head Light, built it; first to help him place the cross on the rocks and give himself a platform to paint the memorial of the wreck on the rocks. It might also have been built to allow people the opportunity to get a close up view of the famous wreck. Whatever the case, another slice of lighthouse history has been rediscovered, all from an old post card.
Back to the edition of: April 2009


Old Postcards Recall Forgotten History
Back to the edition of: April 2009

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History