After being dark for nearly 40 years, the New York lighthouse known by many as the “Maid of the Meadows” is once again a shining beacon to mariners of the Hudson River.
Stan Fletcher who, interestingly enough was also the keeper of the lighthouse when it was extinguished 38 years earlier relighted the lighthouse.
Built in 1872, the Esopus Meadows Light was endangered of being lost forever until local preservationists formed the Save Esopus Lighthouse Commission (SELC). Since then they have raised $300,000 to rescue the structure than many thought could never be saved. Although they have saved the structure, they still have a long way to go before the interior is restored. The group obtained ownership of the lighthouse in September of last year and their goal is to open the lighthouse to the public by 2005.
This story appeared in the
August 2003 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2015 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.