The Lighthouse Depot in Great Yarmouth England, which has been supplying lighthouses and lightships since 1791, has closed its doors forever.
Over 200 years of service came to end in a special ceremony conducted by Deputy Master of Trinity House, Rear Admiral Jeremy de Halpert CB.
Until the mid 1970’s the depot was responsible for maintenance of lighthouses, light vessels and buoys from the Scottish borders to Southwold in Suffolk. With automation and the disappearance of lightships, which have been replaced by buoys, operations will now be centralized at Harwich in Essex.
This story appeared in the
August 2003 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.