Maine’s Lubec Channel Light, which is seen by everyone who travels to or from nearby West Quoddy Lighthouse, has been declared excess property.
The caisson or “spark-plug” style lighthouse was built in 1890 with Frederick W. Morong being appointed as the first keeper. Morong, from the famous Morong lighthouse family wrote the lighthouse keeper’s lament, “Brasswork.”
Connie Small gave the lighthouse some notoriety in her book, The Lightkeeper’s Wife, which has been a best seller ever since it was published.
It is hoped that a local nonprofit group will apply for ownership of the lighthouse otherwise it will go up for auction and fall into private ownership.
This story appeared in the
September 2006 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.