June 30, 1801:
The first Plymouth (Massachusetts) Lighthouse, a wooden dwelling with lanterns at each end of its roof, is destroyed by fire. The 1768 structure represented the first “twin lights” established in America.
June 17, 1910 :
An act of Congress abolishes the U.S. Lighthouse Board and creates the new Bureau of Lighthouses.
June 3, 1923:
The 1842 lighthouse at Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, Canada, is destroyed by fire. A new lighthouse, made of reinforced concrete, is soon erected.
June 18, 1930:
An act of Congress authorizes the transfer of the old Cape Henry Lighthouse, Virginia, to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.
This story appeared in the
June 2007 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.