A new group has been formed to preserve and restore what is left of the Patos Island Light Station located in the Georgia Strait in Puget Sound bear Eastbound, Washington.
Although some of the station’s history has been saved in the book, “The Light On The Island,” originally published in 1951 by Helen Glidden, most of the light station’s history has remained elusive.
Other than lighthouse keeper Edward Durgan and Officer in Charge, Dale Nelson of the Coast Guard era, the new group is having difficulty locating names and historical information on others who served here as the keepers of the light.
If any of our readers can help with historical information you are encouraged to contact Carla Chalker at Patoslightkeepers@hotmail.com. The group has a web site under construction at www.patoslight.org.
This story appeared in the
October 2007 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.