Developers are proposing to rebuild Wisconsin’s long lost Green Island Lighthouse as part of a plan to develop the approximately 80-acre island in Green Bay near Marinette, Wisconsin.
The plan calls for a $90 million project to develop a posh resort in the now undeveloped, privately owned island; it will be called, “Anna’s Vineyard at Green Island,’ named after Anna Drew, the daughter of lighthouse keepers Samuel and Mary Drew, who died as an infant on the island in 1870. She is the only known person buried on the island.
The lighthouse was automated in 1933 and abandoned to the elements. What the elements couldn’t do to the lighthouse, vandals did when they set the structure on fire, leaving only a shell of what was once there.
In 1998 the United States Coast Guard launched a Keeper Class Buoy Tender named after Frank Drew (1864-1931), who served as a light keeper at Wisconsin’s Green Island Lighthouse from November, 1903 through March, 1929. Interestingly, Drew was born on the island where his father Samuel Drew served as the keeper from 1863 to 1881.
Editor’s Note: Please remember to not confuse Green Island Lighthouse in Wisconsin with Green Island Lighthouse in Ohio.
This story appeared in the
Mar/Apr 2011 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.