Built in 1874, this is Nova Scotia Canada’s third Point Print Lighthouse to be built at Digby Gut at the entrance to Annapolis Basin in the Bay of Fundy. Rather than spend the money to restore this beautiful old light station, on May 13, 1964 the Canadian Government used a bulldozer to simply push the structure over the bluff and into the water. Also known as Prim Point Lighthouse, a new square tower was built in its place that is nothing like this architecturally beautiful structure that now only remains as a photograph in the dusty pages of time.
This story appeared in the
Jul/Aug 2014 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.