Lake Michigan’s Calumet Light Station on the Illinois and Indiana border had a short life by lighthouse standards. The lighthouse was built largely at the request of Congressman John Wentworth who later became mayor of Chicago. Information on the existence of this lighthouse is very sketchy and historical information seems to be intertwined with other area lighthouses. However, this photo of the lighthouse shows that it was quite an impressive structure.
The Calumet Light Station was constructed at a cost of $4,500 and completed in 1852 and stood where the Calumet River flowed into Lake Michigan. Unfortunately the harbor never developed the way the harbor in Chicago did and the lighthouse was discontinued in 1855. However, as the harbor came to see more activity, the lighthouse was reestablished in September of 1873. But again, it was not in use for very long. In 1876 it was replaced by the Calumet Pierhead Lighthouse. We have been unable to find records or photographs of when the lighthouse was demolished.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2015 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.