Michigan’s Charity Island Lighthouse was built 1857 to replace an earlier tower on the 322-acre Big Charity Island in Lake Huron at the approach to inner Saginaw Bay.
The light station was abandoned in the late 1930s and fell into disrepair. Eventually private ownership revealed that the keeper’s house was in such a state of dilapidation that it was decided to demolish it. A new home was built on the foundation of the old one. However, while ownership of the actual tower is waiting to be resolved, the private owners of the keeper’s house have stabilized the lantern to keep it from collapse. Trips to the island for an evening dinner are offered in season. To learn more, go to www.CharityIsland.net.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2015 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.