The replica of the original 1876 Marblehead Life Saving Station in Marblehead, Ohio is seen here as it neared its completion this past August. The station is expected to open to the public this coming spring.
The U.S. Life Saving Service was considered a sister organization to the U.S. Lighthouse Service and many life-saving stations were built near lighthouses. In 1915 the U.S. Life Saving Service and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service were merged to create the United States Coast Guard. In 1939 the U.S. Lighthouse Service was taken over by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Coast Guard then became responsible for overseeing all aids to navigation in the United States.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2015 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.