Through the Walkway
This unique photo by John Sroka of the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Lighthouse was taken under and through the raised walkway that leads to and from the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Pierhead Lighthouse. It gives the impression that the walkway is larger than the lighthouse in the distance. The 98-foot tall lighthouse is on an active Coast Guard station in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
Lighthouse Guides Cars Instead of Ships
This colorful lighthouse facsimile guides the way to a parking lot across the street from the Post Office in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. (Photo by Karen Carlomano.)
Making History at St. Marks
Florida’s St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge (SMNWR) recently came into possession of this old and rare photograph from John Y. Roberts who is the great-grandson of St. Marks Lighthouse keeper Charles O. Fine and grandson of keeper John Y. Gresham. The photo shows a number of workmen from the CCC Camp which constructed the road and installed electric power lines to the St. Marks Lighthouse around 1937-1939. The CCC was the Civilian Conservation Corps, which was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed unmarried men from relief families as part of the New Deal. The work crew from the CCC, shown here, was one of only a few that was comprised of African Americans.
Only a Memory at Sturgeon Point
Barb Wiggle recently sent us this old photograph that shows the no longer standing Sturgeon Point Life Boat Station and the Sturgeon Point Lighthouse in Harrisville, Michigan. The Life Boat Station, shown on the left, was the original Sturgeon Point Life Saving Station built by the United States Life-Saving Service in 1876. In 1915, when the Life Saving Service was merged with the Revenue Cutter Service to create the U.S. Coast Guard, it became the Sturgeon Point Life Boat Station. Around 1941, the Coast Guard closed the station and demolished the old Life Boat Station. The lighthouse was also closed but continued to operate as an aid to navigation. In 1982, the Alcona Historical Society undertook a three-ear project to restore the lighthouse, and they now operate a museum and gift shop at the lighthouse from Memorial Day to mid-September.
New Sign for Biloxi
A new interpretative sign has been installed on the south side of Highway 90 near the Biloxi Lighthouse in Biloxi, Mississippi. Using vintage images, the sign gives an informative history of the 1848 lighthouse that includes a photo and information on Miranda Younghans (1858-1933), the 3rd and last lady lighthouse keeper who served as the keeper from 1918 to 1929. The lighthouse now also has a high definition camera that can be viewed online. Go to www.biloxi.ms.us and click on the lighthouse lantern room in the header and it will take you to the live feed. The Biloxi Lighthouse is open to the public every day, weather permitting. Tickets are available at the Visitors center for $5 for adults and $2 for students. (Photo submitted by Brian Margavich.)
Coast Guard in Action
The U.S. Coast Guard in the waters off the 1856 Cape Disappointment Lighthouse in Ilwaco, Washington. (Photograph by CPO David Mosley USCG.)
Lighthouse Digest subscribers Jack and Tobi Graham sent us this photo of Book Exchange shaped like a lighthouse in front of the IGA Market in Grande Riviere, Quebec, Canada. The sign says, “Take a book . . and Keep It! Return It! Pass It On! Lend It! And it’s FREE.”
Not a Lighthouse – But an Aid to Navigation
Petty Officer 1st Class David Skena USCG climbs a structure to replace an outdated 155 millimeter lantern with a self-contained LED Caramanah light in March 2016, in Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. Skena is an electrician’s mate stationed with the USCG Aids to Navigation Team Woods Hole. ANT Woods Hole is responsible for maintaining 250 buoys, 20 lighthouses, and 54 structures along the coast of southeastern Massachusetts. All 250 buoys are serviced using a 49-foot Buoy Utility Stern Loading boat. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Andrew Barresi.)
Ready to Topple
The well house from the Nauset Lighthouse on Cape Cod, Massachuestts near Eastham is shown here in February of 2016, just a few days before erosion finally claimed it and it toppled over the edge to the beach below. In 1996 the Nauset Light was moved over 300 feet from the eroding cliff. However, the well house was not moved because it was not considered historic, having been added in the 1960s to replace the original well house. Also, the government decided when they moved the lighthouse that they would also not move the garage when they moved the lighthouse. The 1928 keeper’s garage is now approximately 50 feet from the cliff’s edge. (Photo by Rebecca M. Fletcher.)
Recreation of Postage Stamp
An MH-65 “Dolphin” helicopter flies in front of the U.S. Coast Guard barque Eagle as a re-creation of the U.S. Postal Service Coast Guard Forever postage stamp that was created by aviation artist William S. Phillips. (Photo by Coast Guard Auxilarist David Lau.)
Not much is left of the Cabo de Santa Maria Lighthouse in the Benguela Province of Angola. It is believed to have been built in the 1930s and was a white square tower with an enclosed lantern. It is believed that the lighthouse was abandoned and destroyed in the long civil war from which the country has not yet fully recovered from. Angola is the seventh-largest country in Africa, and is bordered by Namibia to the south, the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the north, Zambia to the east, and the Atlantic Ocean to west. (Photo by Andrew Kempson.)
Southern Irish Tour
Galley Head Lighthouse is shown here from a photo taken earlier this year from a drone by noted lighthouse photographer and author John Eagle during his sponsored Southern Irish Lighthouse Tour. The 1878 Galley Head Lighthouse is located in County Cork. For more information on his tours you can contact him at email@example.com or visit his website at www.johneaglephoto.com.
The 1915 Point Robinson Lighthouse in Vashon Island, Washington is shown in this beautiful photograph taken by Terry Behal. Last year, thanks to a grant from 4Culture, the Vashon Park District was able to install a new roof on the structure.
This story appeared in the
May/Jun 2016 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.