The GSA has just announced that Florida’s Sand Key Lighthouse has been declared as excess property and it is being offered for FREE to any qualified entity.
The first Sand Key Lighthouse, built in 1827, was destroyed in a hurricane in 1846. Lighthouse keeper Rebecca Flaherty and five others were killed when the tower came down. The current tower, built 1853, was heavily damaged by a fire in 1989. Between 1991 and 1997 the Coast Guard performed various restoration projects to the tower. However, in 2015 the Coast Guard abandoned the tower and its beacon was replaced by a small erector style lighthouse nearby called a “Half-Pint.” (Photo by Eric Martin.)
This story appeared in the
Jul/Aug 2017 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.