The Williamson Lighthouse
This model of Virginia’s Cape Henry Lighthouse was built by Fred Williamson. It stands nine feet tall and has a revolving beacon in the lantern that operates from dusk to dawn. Since his and his wife Faye’s home is on the Chesapeake Bay and close to the real Cape Henry Lighthouse, they thought it was the perfect choice for their yard. We have to agree with them.
This beautiful model of the Marblehead Lighthouse is at the Abbot Public Library in Marblehead, Massachusetts. It was originally built for Beth Tauro, owner of the local Crazy Lady Candy Store. In the store, each layer or platform of the lighthouse was filled with candy. When the store closed, the model was donated to the library. (Photo by Eric Jay Dolin, author of the book Brilliant Beacons.)
Commerce Lighthouse Emblem
Shown here is a close-up of the emblem of the Department of Commerce on top of California’s Yerba Buena Coast Guard Station. When the building was built in 1930 for the U.S. Lighthouse Service, it was under the jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce. The emblem was designed and approved by the Department of Commerce in 1910 and it featured an Eagle above a ship that was above a lighthouse. The emblem or logo is still in use today by the Department of Commerce. (Photo by Jiah Barnett.)
The Old and the New at West Quoddy
George “Bubba” Eaton, who was the lighthouse keeper at West Quoddy Head Lighthouse from 1978 to 1982, is shown here at the lighthouse on July 8, 2017 with Coast Guardsmen FN Kyle Pluard and MK2 John Flynn of the Aids to Navigation Team in Southwest Harbor, Maine. West Quoddy Head Lighthouse is the easternmost lighthouse on the mainland of the Atlantic Coast of the United States of America, (Photo by Timothy Harrison.)
Lens on Display in Greece
This 3rd order Sautter Lemonnier Fresnel lens is on outdoor display at the Yacht Club of Greece in Pireas, Greece. It’s a good thing that they are not in the United States, or the U.S. Coast Guard curator would have filed suit in federal court to get the lens back.
At West Quoddy Head Lighthouse
Twelve-year-old Jayden Harrison with Dawson, a 175-pound Newfoundland dog, at the annual West Quoddy Head Lighthouse event this past July. Dawson, an unofficial mascot of West Quoddy Head Lighthouse who is owned by musician Noel Veilleux and his wife Maureen who travel every year from Massachusetts to West Quoddy where Noel entertains the visitors with his guitar playing and singing. The Newfoundland dog is known for its gentle temperament and water rescue and lifesaving capabilities. Jayden Harrison is the youngest grandson of Lighthouse Digest editor Timothy Harrison.
Students Visit Diamond Head
Teachers from La Pietra - Hawaii School for Girls wave while standing at the top of Diamond Head Lighthouse, Oahu, on April 28, 2017. As part of the celebration of the centennial of Diamond Head Lighthouse, various schools were invited to visit to learn about the history and importance of the lighthouse, and to interact with Coast Guard members from various units. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Tara Molle.)
Cleaning the Lens
Members of the U.S. Coast Guard’s Aids to Navigation Team out of Coos Bay, Oregon are shown here cleaning the Second-order Fresnel lens in the lantern of Oregon’s 1870 Cape Blanco Lighthouse. The lens has been in use in the tower since 1936. (Photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Jonathan Klingenberg.)
In Flight at St. Marks
Our fine feathered friends were captured in flight over Florida’s 1842 St. Marks Lighthouse with a dramatic sky for its backdrop by Lindsey Harrison Tharp. The St. Marks Lighthouse is now owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Governor Visits Grays Harbor Lighthouse
This past July, Washington State’s governor, Jay Inslee, visited that state’s 1898 Grays Harbor Lighthouse to ceremonially light the 3rd order Fresnel lens in the lantern for the 120th anniversary of the tallest lighthouse in the state. (Photo CourtesyTheDailyWorld.com.)
Recently when Joe Foster was sitting on one of the oldest benches at the River Bend Boat Club in South Haven, Michigan, he noticed that the left side cement leg had the letters USCG engraved in it. Then he looked at the other leg, but it was blank. Then he looked under the bench, and on the inside of the right leg he saw engraved numbers 1939, which was the year that the U.S. Coast Guard took over the United States Lighthouse Service. Joe wondered if that makes the bench a special item or just an interesting coincidence, given the fact that he works for Lighthouse Digest. But why was the year 1939 engraved on the inside and not the outside? We can only speculate that the cement leg with 1939 was engraved on the wrong side and the original installers left that it that way.
This story appeared in the
Sep/Oct 2017 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.