Overlooking the town of Ulverston, England (birth place of Stan Laurel, June 16, 1890) is the dramatic limestone lighthouse facsimile built in honor of Sir John Barrow (1764-1848). He was an important figure in British Naval History and has lent his name to both Barrow Point northern Alaska and Barrow Strait, Canada.
The monument was erected on Hoad Hill in 1850, with funds raised through public subscription. The architect Andrew Trimen, whose design was chosen for the structure, based his design on Smeatons Eddystone Lighthouse which now stands on the Hoe, Plymouth.
There are 112 steps to the top of the tower where dramatic views of Morecambe Bay and the English Lake District can be enjoyed from the "lantern room". The tower is owned and maintained by the town of Ulverston and is open to the public on Sundays during the summer months. A "keeper," appointed
This story appeared in the
April 1996 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.