In a ceremony at Florida's 1883 Ponce De Leon Inlet Lighthouse the historic beacon was recently dedicated at National Historic Landmark.
Presenting the designation was Congressman John Mica of Florida and Dr. Mark Barnes, Senior Archaeologist, Department of the Interior.
Jim Dunlap, who is well-known for his work restoring Fresnel lens, spoke of the lighthouse and gave a preview of the extensive restoration which will begin early next year. The metal top of the light will be removed and all of the metalwork will be repaired and restored. Scaffolding will be erected around the entire lighthouse, and the brickwork will be cleaned, repaired and re-mortared.
According to Ralph Eshelman, one of the nations foremost lighthouse experts, Ponce de Leon Lightstation is a remarkably complete station consisting of a 176 foot tall brick tower, a principal and two assistant keepers dwellings, oil house, pump house, and three woodshed/privy structures. Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse is the second tallest brick lighthouse in the United States with only Cape Hatteras Light, NC being taller.
The station has been open to the public since 1992 with the principal keepers dwelling and assistant keepers dwelling used as museums. The first assistant keepers house has been restored and furnished to its 1890's period. All are well worth the visit.
This story appeared in the
January 2000 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2013 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.