The oldest operating lighthouse in the United States not only continues to beam its light, but the beacon’s beauty beams as bright as the day it was built, thanks in part to a major restoration of the historic tower.
This was the first major restoration of the New Jersey tower since 1863, when the original wood stairs were replaced with cast iron stairs and a brick lining was installed to reinforce the rubble-stone walls.
Worchester-Eisenbrandt, Inc., a Baltimore, MD firm that specializes in restoring historic buildings, did the $600,000 in restoration work.
The lighthouse, decked out in red, white, and blue bunting, was rededicated this past June with Revolutionary War re-enactors on hand, and the tower was opened for the public to climb.
Sandy Hook lighthouse was first lit in June of 1764. Its 95-foot tower is 29 feet in diameter at the base with 9-inch thick walls.
The Gateway National Recreation Area has managed the lighthouse since 1996, when the Coast Guard transferred its ownership to the National Park Service.
This story appeared in the
August 2000 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2014 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.