Manawahuna Scenic Reserve
This lighthouse was replaced by a nearby automatic beacon in 1978. The lighthouse is located within the Manawahuna Scenic Reserve. One of three
keeperï¿½s dwellings survives, and in 1996 it was converted into a shelter for hikers.
Tower Height: 13
Height of Focal Plane: 479
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 2.5 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1910
Date Present Tower Built: 1910
Date Deactivated: 1978
Current Use: Unknown.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
See www.nzinfo.com/fullersboi/cb.htm for information on a cruise to this lighthouse. The lighthouse is on the mainland but is inaccessible by road. There is a hiking trail (8 hours) to the lighthouse.
Keepers: ? McKinna (assistant, c. 1918), ? Grey (c. 1930s), Hugh Jamieson (1937-1946)