Maritime New Zealand
This lighthouse is located in a nature reserve. It originally was built on wooden stilts; the framework was replaced by steel in 1897.
Tower Height: 89
Height of Focal Plane: 98
Characteristic and Range: Two sectors, white and red. Light flashes every 15 seconds; the white light is visible for 27 nautical miles and the red is visible for 17 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Steel skeleton tower with enclosed upper portion and lantern, painted orange.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: 1897
Date Automated: 1984
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Access to Farewell Spit is available via guided tours leaving from the Farewell Spit Visitor Information Centre. For information on touring Farewell Spit, contact Farewell Spit Nature Tours at firstname.lastname@example.org or see www.farewell-spit.co.nz
Keepers: Alexander Greenlees McKinlay (2nd assistant, 1871-1872), James Nelson (c. 1870s), Robert Leighton (c. 1916), Hugh Jamieson (1946-1949)