Lyttelton Port Company
This light station had to be relocated during World War II to give newly installed guns a clear line of fire. In July 2013 the lighthouse tower was lifted in sections off the walls of the cliff to be restored and rebuilt on solid land.
Tower Height: 20
Height of Focal Plane: 318
Description of Tower: Short white tower with black lantern dome.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1865
Date Present Tower Built: c. 1940s
Date Automated: c. mid-1970s
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Keepers: James Nelson (c. 1870s), John Frederick Rayner (December 1883 to August 1894), Alexander Greenlees McKinlay (1894-1900)