Point Prim Mount Buchanan Women's Institute
This is the oldest lighthouse on Prince Edward Island. It is also the only round brick lighthouse in Canada. The lighthouse is now leased to the Province of PEI. It is not to be confused with a lighthouse with the same name near Digby, Nova
Tower Height: 60
Height of Focal Plane: 68
Characteristic and Range: Fl White 5 s, visible for 20 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, conical tower with red lantern; brick with wood shingles.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1846
Date Present Tower Built: 1846
Date Automated: 1969
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
On the Trans Canada Highway, look for the turn-off to Point Prim between Belfast and Pinette. At the end of the road turn left and drive through the woods to the lighthouse. The stairs leading to the top of the lighthouse are steep. There is a picnic area near the tower, and there are a restaurant, craft shop and art gallery nearby. Guided tours of the lighthouse are available June 26 to July 1, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily, and July 2 to August 19, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Keepers: Michael MacLeod (1873-1910); Angus J. McRae (1910-1912); S. A. McLean (1912-1920); Angus A. Murchison (1920-1955); Simon D. Murchison (1947); Manson D. E. Murchison (1947-1955); Norman Ross Gillis (temporary keeper, 1956); Manson D. E. Murchison (1956-1969)