Mininstry of Traffic, Public Works & Water Management
An old document from 1323 refers to a "fire house" on the island of Terschelling, and a beacon on St. Brandaan church is mentioned in the mid-16th century. The present tower dates back to 1593-94 and is the oldest structure specifically built as a lighthouse in the Netherlands. The light was discontinued in the early 17th century and replaced by two smaller lights on the dunes. It was reactivated in 1835 and fitted with a Fresnel lens in 1837. The first floor of this lighthouse is used as a wedding chapel; for information call 0562-446244.
Tower Height: 172
Height of Focal Plane: 184
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 5 seconds, visible for 29 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Square stone tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1594
Date Present Tower Built: 1835
Date Deactivated: 1603-1835
Optics: Fourth-order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.