Min. of Traffic, Public Works & Water Management
In April 1945, prisoners of war from Soviet Georgia seized this lighthouse during a revolt against their German captors. The Germans retook the station, severely damaging the lighthouse in the process. The lighthouse was repaired in 1948-49 and additional restoration was carried out in 1996. In 2004 the lighthouse was repainted in its original bright red after many years with a rose color. The station is endangered by beach erosion, which has been controlled by a sea wall.
Tower Height: 114
Height of Focal Plane: 174
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white twice every 10 seconds, visible for 29 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Red, conical brick tower with whire upper portion.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1864
Date Present Tower Built: 1864
Optics: Third-order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.