Estonian Maritime Administration
This is believed to be the third oldest continuously operating light station in the world. The island of Hiumaa used to be known by the Swedish name of Dagö. The tower was raised to 120 ft (about its current height) in 1659 and 23 oil lamps and reflectors were installed in 1805. In the 17th and 18th centuries the lighthouse was managed by a succession of Russian nobles employing local residents as keepers, until the Russian government took over in 1805.
Tower Height: 112
Height of Focal Plane: 335
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 10 seconds, visible for 26 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, square, stone tower with buttresses.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1531
Date Present Tower Built: 1805
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
The lighthouse is open to visitors for a small fee.