U.S. Coast Guard
There is some evidence that famed architect H. H. Richardson may have been involved in designing this lighthouse.
Tower Height: 34
Height of Focal Plane: 40
Characteristic and Range: Six seconds red alternating with six seconds darkness.
Description of Tower: Conical granite tower, top half painted white, with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1890
Date Present Tower Built: 1890
Date Automated: 1957
Optics: 1890: Fifth order Fresnel, now 300 mm.
Fog Signal: 1890: Fog bell on side of lighthouse tower.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
In Newport, take America's Cup Avenue and Thames Street to Wellington Avenue and turn right. Turn left at Halidon Avenue, then right onto Harrison Avenue. Turn right onto Castle Hill Road, then left onto Ocean Drive. Turn right at a paved road with a small "Inn at Castle Hill" sign. Turn right to the Castle Hill Cove Marina and park there. The lighthouse is reached via a 1/4 mile trail that begins opposite the marina entrance. It leads over a hill and to concrete steps leading to the lighthouse. You can also see the lighthouse from trips offered aboard the sailing vessel Mai Ling; call 401-965-5154 or email email@example.com for details, or visit the Mai Ling website at www.mai-ling.com
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Frank W. Parmele (1890-1911), George L. Hoxsie (1911-?)