City of Warwick
The first Conimicut Lighthouse, a granite tower, replaced Nayatt Point Light in 1868. The dwelling was detroyed by ice in 1875, and the granite lighthouse was replaced by the present one in 1883. Under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000, ownership of this lighthouse was transferred to the City of Warwick in September 2004. The active light is still maintained by the Coast Guard.
Tower Height: 58
Height of Focal Plane: 55
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 2.5 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron
This light is operational
1868: Granite tower.
Date Established: 1868 (11/1/1868)
Date Present Tower Built: 1883
Date Automated: 1966
Optics: 1868: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm.
Fog Signal: 1873: Fog bell and striking machinery; now automated horn with two blasts every 30 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Conimicut Light can be seen from Conimicut Point Park in Warwick. From I-95 north or south: Take Exit 13 to the Airport Access Road. Follow the road onto RI 117 (West Shore Road). The road eventually becomes Bush Avenue. Turn left at Symonds Avenue, then right at Point Avenue and follow to the park. There is a parking fee for the park July to Labor Day. It is open all year, sunrise to sunset. Conimicut Light can also be seen from the area around Nayatt Point in Barrington.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Davis Perry (1868-1869), H. Perry (assistant, 1869), ? Healy (1869-1871), C. Rounds (?) (assistant, 1869-1870), Charles A. Wells (assistant, 1870), Robert H. Tobin (assistant, 1870-1871), John Walker (1871-1874), James King (assistant, 1871-1872), Benjamin (?) King (assistant, 1872), William Crawford (assistant, 1873), ? Beaumont (assistant, 1874), Horace Arnold (1874-1886), Francis E. Arnold (assistant, 1878-1881), E. M. Buckingham (assistant, 1881), Benedict A. Winslow (assistant, 1881-1882), Ernest L. Arnold (assistant, 1882-1884), Benajah B. Gray (1886-1890), Edward L. Hunt (1890-1892), Joseph B. Eddy (1892-1894), Thomas S. Fishburne (1894-1895), Daniel MacDonald (1895-1906), Joseph Burke (1906), E. R. Curtis (1906-1907), Daniel L. Reardon (1907-1909), Nicolai Jansen (1909-?), Ellsworth Smith (c. 1921-1922), ? Powell (?-c. 1957), Bob Onosko (Coast Guard, 1957), Bob Reedy (Coast Guard, c. 1957), Fred Mikkelsen (Coast Guard 1958-1961)