The first mention of a lighthouse near Blankenberge was in 1337, at a location east of the city. A primitive light on a mast was erected in 1394 closer to the present-day city. There is a small maritime museum at the site of the current lighthouse.
Tower Height: 98
Height of Focal Plane: 99
Characteristic and Range: Oc (2) W 8s, visible for 20 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White concrete tower, top portion black.
This light is operational
1817: Lighthouse on a fort (built in 1810), focal plane height of 44 feet. 1872: Octagonal stone tower on a building, 68 feet tall (destroyed during World War II). 1946: Framework tower.
Date Established: 1817
Date Present Tower Built: 1950
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
The museum and tower here are open Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 3 to 6 p.m.
Keepers: Victor Van Mullem (?-1970)