There was a lightship here from 1826 to 1855. In the mid 1950s the government wanted the abandoned lighthouse removed from the site. They accepted a $10.00 offer from Elijah Tate, a marine salvager, to remove the lighthouse. While attempting to move the structure to land, a storm hit the area and the lighthouse tipped over and sank. At the same time, Tate was also moving the nearby Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, and it met the same fate.
Description of Tower: Cottage-style screwpile structure; square tower on roof of dwelling.
This light is not operational
1855 lighthouse was damaged in Civil War and repaired in 1866; rebuilt 1899.
Date Established: 1855
Date Deactivated: 1950s
Current Use: Destroyed.