This lighthouse replaced the Vermilion Bay Lighthouse and the Atchafalaya Lightship. It was inactive during the Civil War, 1861-1865. It was destroyed by a hurricane in October 1867. The keeper died in the storm.
Tower Height: 71
Height of Focal Plane: 81
Characteristic and Range: Fixed red light, visible for 17 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Red, hexagonal iron skeletal tower on screwpile foundation.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1859
Date Deactivated: 1866
Optics: Third order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Seth Jones (?-1867, died in service)