Struever Brothers, Eccles, and Rouse
A lighthouse was built on a parapet of Fort Carroll in 1854. The lighthouse and fog bell tower were torn down in 1898 to make room for two new batteries. The lighthouse was rebuilt in December of 1898, about 100 feet north of the old structure. In 1958 the fort and lighthouse were sold into private hands. The property has now been abandoned for some years and is in a state of severe disrepair. A group called Shedding Light is now working for the restoration of the lighthouse - see www.SheddingLight.org or email email@example.com for more information.
Height of Focal Plane: 45
Description of Tower: Square wooden tower on fort, with black cast iron lantern.
Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1854
Date Present Tower Built: 1898
Date Deactivated: c. 1945
Optics: 1898: Fifth order Fresnel lens (removed).
Fog Signal: Originally hand-rung fog bell; 1898: Fog bell and striking machinery.
Current Use: Abandoned.
Open To Public? No.