This lighthouse fell into severe disrepair after being abandoned in 1913. Numerous owners now possess part interest in the lighthouse, including the National Forest Service. which now owns most of the island as part of the Grand Island National Recreation Area. Local concerned citizens have started work to preserve the lighthouse -- a protective crib was built in front of the building in 2001. For information contact: Light Rescue Project c/o Alger Historical Society, P.O. Box 201, Munising, MI 49862. The American Lighthouse Foundation has set up a preservation fund. Send donations to: American Lighthouse Foundation, East Channel Lighthouse Fund, P.O. Box 889, Wells, Maine 04090.
Description of Tower: Square wooden tower attached to keeper's house with cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
Integral 1.5 story wood frame keeper's house.
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: 1870
Date Deactivated: 1913
Current Use: Abandoned.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse can be seen from the glass-bottom boat narrated tours of Lake Superior Shipwrecks offered by Captain Peter Lindquist, 1204 Commercial St., Munising, MI 49862. Phone: (906) 387-4477. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The lighthouse can also be seen from the boat tours offered from Memorial Day weekend to Columbus Day weekend by Pictured Rocks Cruises, P.O. Box 355, Munising, Michigan 49862. Phone (906) 387-2379. Email: email@example.com. See www.exploringthenorth.com/picturedrocks/cruise.html
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places