Centre Vents et Mer
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 280
The original lighthouse (1871) was situated on the cape itself, a few miles west of the present site. "In the interests of navigation," it was rebuilt in 1875 at a more prominent location on the cape, about 480 yards from the original location. In 1891, the fog signal at Pointe Sainte-Anne, about 9 miles east, was moved to the Cap Chat station. Finally, in 1909, the lighthouse was rebuilt closer to the village of Cap Chat.
Tower Height: 44
Height of Focal Plane: 136
Characteristic and Range: Characteristic & range: White flash every 6 seconds; range 15 miles.
Description of Tower: White, square wooden tower with a circular red lantern.
This light is operational
1871 White, square tower, 37 feet tall, with dwelling attached. 1875: White, square wooden tower, 26 feet tall.
Date Established: 1871
Date Present Tower Built: 1909
Optics: Third order Fresnel lens, built by Barbier, Bénard and Turenne (still in use).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is located on the grounds of the Centre Vents et Mer, which also includes an information center on wind generation and modern windmills (“eolians”), gardens, nature paths, a tea house and a museum. Grounds open June 9 to September 15, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
From Highway 132 about 3 miles west of the town of Cap-Chat, look for a sign marked “Vents et Mer” (white lettering on black background), across the road from a number of “eolians." Parking available. (Thanks to Michel Forand.)
Keepers: Joseph Roy (1871-1874); Louis Treflé Côté (1874-1901); Luc Côté (1901-1927); J.A. Aurèle Côté (1927-1931); Jean-François Roy (1931-1964); Joseph Marcel Duguay (1964-1973); Yves Duguay (1973-1974); Charles Hector Fraser (1974-1988)