This lighthouse was was virtually a twin of the light at Sassafras Point about a mile away on the other side of the river. A single keeper was assigned to both lights. New acetylene tanks were being installed at Fuller Rock in February 1923, when a tank exploded, injuring five workers and completely destroying the light. A skeleton tower was soon erected in its place.
Tower Height: 17
Height of Focal Plane: 28
Characteristic and Range: Originally fixed red, visible for 7.5 nautical miles; by 1918 it had changed to Occulting red 2 seconds (flash 1s, eclipse 1s), visible for 5 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, hexagonal wooden tower with a black lantern, on a granite foundation
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1872
Date Deactivated: 1923
Optics: 1872: Sixth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Lorenzo Clarke (1872-1873); Samuel Heard (1873-1882), Edward Hoxsie (1882), William Dunwell (1882-1886); Patrick Fitzpatrick (1886), John Mullen (1886-1911)