Work originally began on the lighthouse in 1854. The first structure was destroyed by a storm in 1858 before it was finished. Construction began again but was continuously interrupted by storms, and the lighthouse wasn't finished until 1886. In 1953 the deteriorated structure was removed and was replaced by a skeletal tower on the original pilings. The lantern from the lighthouse was salvaged and today is incorporated into a privately-built lighthouse on Key Largo. Today not even the old pilings remain on the original site; an automated light on a skeleton tower was mounted on a new foundation. That skeleton tower was destroyed in Hurricane Charlie in August 2004. As of December 2004, a small beacon is still in operation at the site.
Height of Focal Plane: 66
Description of Tower: 2 1/2 story dwelling with lantern on roof, on cast iron pilings.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1886
Date Deactivated: 1953
Date Automated: 1925
Optics: 1886: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.