In 1844 this lighthouse became the first in the U.S. to be lighted using gas generated on the site. The light was discontinued in 1909 when the new Bellevue Range Lights went into operation, but the dwelling was used for the keeper of the Bellevue Range Lights until 1937. The building was demolished in 1939.
Height of Focal Plane: 48
Description of Tower: Octagonal tower on top of keeper's dwelling.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1835
Date Deactivated: 1909
Optics: c. 1838: Ten lamps and reflectors; By 1878: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Benjamin A. Crozier (c. 1840s), William H. Johnson (c. 1918-1937)