Mohawk Lighthouse Preservation Association
In 1932 the keeper and his son were trapped in ice while trying to leave the station; the light was automated the following year. After a fire in the 1970s, it was abandoned and fell into severe disrepair. The Mohawk Lighthouse Preservation Association is working to restore the site.
Description of Tower: Conical limestone tower; lantern has been removed.
This light is not operational
Ruins of keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1848
Date Deactivated: 1969
Date Automated: 1933
Current Use: Abandoned.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only. The island is a national wildlife area and public access is not allowed during the breeding season. A distant view is possible from the end of Pyle Road in Lowbanks. Occasional airboat tours are available -- see www.airboattours.ca
Keepers: John Burgess (1848-?), Richard Foster (c. 1932)