This lighthouse was badly damaged on September 8, 1900, when a British freighter was driven over it during a hurricane. The keeper, Charles K. Bowen, was killed. In 1902 a new light was established about 150 feet from the previous lighthouse site. There's now a replica of this lighthouse at Bay Street Park in Texas City (see separate entry).
Height of Focal Plane: 35
Description of Tower: White cottage-style lighthouse on screwpile foundation.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1854
Date Deactivated: c. 1900
Optics: Sixth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Gilbert Bray (1854-?), Charles K. Bowen (?-1900, died in service)