Canadian Coast Guard
There have been three lighthouses on Pictou Island, located about 7.5 miles offshore. The East End Light is now a skeleton structure.
Tower Height: 32
Height of Focal Plane: 58
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 4 seconds.
Description of Tower: Red, square skeleton tower with a red and white rectangular daymark.
This light is operational
1853: White, square wooden tower with dwelling attached; 32 feet tall (destroyed). 1930: White, rectangular dwelling with a red lantern rising from the roof; 40 feet tall (destroyed).
Date Established: 1853
Date Present Tower Built: 1962
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The island can be reached by ferry (pedestrians only) from Caribou Ferry on the Nova Scotia mainland.
Keepers: William Hogg (1853-?), Andrew MacFarlane (c.1900-1930s), Archie MacDonald (c. 1930s-1950s)