Canadian Coast Guard
There have been three lighthouses on Pictou Island, located about 7.5 miles offshore, but the South Light is the only one remaining (the other two are skeleton towers). It served as the rear light of a range from 1951 to 1974; the front light was a skeleton tower on the breakwater.
Tower Height: 27
Height of Focal Plane: 35
Characteristic and Range: White flash lasting 4 seconds, followed by a 4-second eclipse.
Description of Tower: White, square, pyramidal wooden tower with a red and white lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1907
Date Present Tower Built: 1907
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
The island can be reached by ferry (pedestrians only) from Caribou Ferry on the Nova Scotia mainland.
Keepers: Hugh McLean (1907-?)